Roofs are exposed to various outdoor elements over time, which can lead to roofing damage and the need for repairs. As the first line of defense for the home, roofs protect against severe weather, leaves, debris, dirt, and plant growth. To shield your roof and prevent expensive repairs that could be avoided, roof cleaning is the best answer.
Roof damage in the form of leaks, cracked shingles, and mold can cause expensive repairs or even lead to roof replacement. If you get ahead of this with roof cleaning, it could save you a lot of time and money in the future. Consider scheduling a roof cleaning service so that your roof is prepared for the changing seasons!
How Does Roof Damage Occur?
Commonly, severe weather conditions will negatively affect roofs. Hail can penetrate asphalt shingles, causing the granules to fall off and shingles to be stripped from the roof. Excess rain may cause roof leaks, which appear as water spots in the ceiling and walls. Neglected maintenance and old age can also cause roofs to deteriorate. In addition, plant growth can be detrimental to a roof’s functionality. Roof cleaning will take care of the following:
- Roof Algae: Airborne algae is attracted to humid climates and may appear in the form of brown or black roof stains. It can grow and spread quickly, having a negative impact on the look of your roof. As it spreads, black streaks may appear on the roof. Algae can also grow inside shingles, which can cause the asphalt to lose its ability to reflect heat properly.
- Roof Moss: Moss prefers damp, shaded environments. It can establish roots on roofs, getting under shingles and allowing bacteria and mold to flourish. This can lead to holes and leaks in the roof.
- Roof Lichen: Lichen occurs when algae and fungus are living together. Lichen is hard to remove, as it attaches strongly to the roof. The best way to remove it is with a powerful pressure washer.
Roof Repair, Service, & Replacement
Why Clean Your Roof?
- Prevent Damage: Plant growth can destroy shingles and cause premature roof failure. It’s common for insurance companies to not cover roof replacement where plant growth is involved. It’s important that you take part in roof cleaning so this doesn’t happen to you.
- Enhance Curb Appeal: Roof cleaning holds the power to make your roof look brand new again. If you’re looking to sell your home, it’s important to have a clean roof.
How to Clean a Roof
There are two main ways of cleaning a roof: mechanical and chemical. Mechanical cleaning uses power washing or surface cleaning. Chemical cleaning involves cleaning chemicals to kill plant growth on the roof.
- Mechanical: Power washing is an effective way to clean asphalt shingles. Shingles can also be brushed or scrubbed to remove dirt and debris.
- Chemical: Chemicals will be used to kill roof growth. Concerns with this type of cleaning include that these chemicals may be harmful to flowers and grass.
Perimeter Prowash uses a drone connected to a high-powered water spray to methodically clean the surface of your roof.
Offering Roof Cleaning Near You
Perimeter Roofing offers roof cleaning services near you! This is a great way to keep your roof functioning at its best and extend its lifespan. We serve GA, FL, AL, and TN with roof repair and replacement services. Contact us today for a free roofing inspection or to schedule your roof cleaning!