With spring and summer storms a common concern with the humid GA and TN climates, you need to always be prepared to shield your roof from damage. After all, your roof is the first line of defense to protect your home and family during potentially dangerous winds, rain, and hail. Follow the important steps below so you can be prepared before, during, and after a storm goes through your area.
Before the Storm
Preparing your roof before the storm even reaches your home is the most important step to minimizing roof damage. That is why you should always stay updated on local weather reports, especially when they mention hurricane warnings and thunderstorms. If you know when a storm is coming, you can complete the steps below to make sure your roof is in the best shape to weather the storm.
- Start by performing a visual inspection of your roof and home siding. If you see any areas with loose or missing shingles, consider contacting your local roofing company for repairs. Or, if your timetable is short, try tarping over that portion of the roof or reinforcing your attic insulation to prevent water drip in your home.
- Clean your gutters so water runoff from your roof will be unobstructed. If your gutters are full, it could cause water to collect on your roof, leading to leaks or damage.
- Prune overhanging tree branches and assess any trees that seem to be leaning. With hurricane force winds, trees and large branches become a major concern for your roof’s surface. This debris can crack shingles and a tree can even create major holes in your roof.
- Remove or secure anything that could become a hazard during high winds. Patio furniture, children’s toys, and yard equipment can become projectiles during a hurricane or major thunderstorm. Not only could they damage your roof, but they could also break windows or scrap your home’s siding.
- Tightly close all doors and windows. More than just protecting your roof, you need to ensure all doors and windows are securely closed to protect your home’s interior. This will prevent any rain from entering your home and causing damage.
Roof Repair, Service, & Replacement
During the Storm
The most important aspect of all storm preparation is ensuring that you and your family remain safe until it passes. That is why it is vital that you create a safety plan and make sure each member of your family is familiar with it. Follow these general guidelines to stay safe during a hurricane or thunderstorm.
- Stay indoors and away from windows.
- If you have a basement or cellar, remain there during the storm.
- Be prepared for a power outage by ensuring you have flashlights with new batteries somewhere easy to find.
- Unplug appliances and electronics so they won’t be damaged if lightning strikes.
- Stay updated with the storm by watching local updates and the weather radar.
After the Storm
Following a major storm system like a hurricane, thunderstorm, or hail storm, your next step is assessing any potential damage to your home and roof. For example, missing or damaged shingles and pooling water are common issues after a storm. Examine your home with this checklist to determine the extent of your roofing damage.
Inside Your Home
- Check your ceilings for dripping water or wet spots that could mean a roof leak.
- Inspect your attic for any water leaks or holes.
Outside Your Home
- Visually inspect your home’s exterior and your roof, taking note of any serious damage.
- Check the ground surrounding your home for any missing shingles they may have blown off during the storm. This is a major sign of significant damage to your roof.
- See if any shingles have upturned corners or cracks, meaning they can no longer protect your roof properly.
- Notice where any trees or branches have fallen and look for areas they may have damaged the roof. Similarly, look for areas that may have hail damage.
If You Have Storm Damage
If you notice damage to your roof following a storm, it is important to call your insurance company quickly. You’ll want to book an insurance assessor soon after the storm so they can determine how much damage is covered. With the guidance of your insurance company, you can choose a roofing company to perform your inspection. Here at Perimeter Roofing, we offer free roof inspections to homeowners in the North Atlanta area and around Nashville, TN. Our experienced roof inspectors can explain your damages and recommend options for roof repair and replacement. Learn more about our residential roof repair services on our Roof Repair page or contact us at the location nearest to you!