How Long Do Roofs Last in Florida?
Florida is known for extreme, humid temperatures paired with tropical storms and torrential rain. All this severe weather wears down the surface your roof quickly. That’s why it’s important to have a dependable roof that will adequately protect your home from all types of weather conditions. You may be wondering: how long will my roof last in Florida? The answer: it depends! However, we found that the average life expectancy of a Florida roof is 15-20 years. Many factors will influence the longevity of your roof. These may include the type of roofing material you have, what kind of weather damage the roof is subjected to, and if you schedule routine maintenance.
If you find a trustworthy roofing company near you to immediately handle roofing concerns, you’ll be all set up for success. At Perimeter Roofing Orlando and Sarasota, our Florida roofing contractors are trained to handle all roofing services with professionalism and efficiency. Through detailed inspections and thorough repair plans, we ensure your roof is operating at its best.
Type of Roofing Material
In Florida, the most common type of roofing material is asphalt shingles. Most homeowners choose them for their affordability and reliable performance. Typically, asphalt shingles will last upwards of 20-30 years, but due to Florida’s weather conditions, their lifespan may be cut in half. Architectural shingles are higher quality and may last 15-20 years, but do come with a higher price tag. If you have a tile roof, the expected lifespan may be 25-50 years. Tile can be a durable, well-performing roofing material if taken care of properly which is why it can also be a popular roofing material in Florida.
Roof Repair, Service, & Replacement
Factors Influencing Roof Longevity
- Weather: In Florida, roofs may be constantly exposed to hurricane, rain, and wind damage. The continued exposure may cause roofing materials to crack and loosen, leading to other damage, like roof leaks.
- Poor Maintenance: Because of Florida’s extreme weather, it’s important to continually refresh your roof with maintenance service. If you leave issues unaddressed, it’s also likely to accelerate roofing damage. If you have a severe storm, we recommend that you schedule a professional roofing inspection. Typically, roofing damage cannot be seen by the average homeowner, and needs to be looked at by a professional contractor.
- Heat: Continued exposure to heat can cause roofing shingles to expand and contract, which can intensify damage. In this case, if problems are left unaddressed, you may need to schedule roof replacement sooner than expected.
- Bad Insulation: If insulation or roof underlayment was not installed correctly, heat may become trapped inside the roofing structure, which can easily cause rotting and mold.
Signs You Need Roof Repair
If you experience roofing issues, it’s important to not delay repairs. This will only make matters worse and may have you paying expensive repair prices. Look out for the following signs that you need roof repair:
- Cracked or damaged shingles
- Missing flashing
- Ceiling stains or water spots
- Granules in the gutters
- Sagging roofline
- Missing shingles
How to Extend Your Roof’s Lifespan
The best way to extend your roof’s lifespan is with routine maintenance. Services like roof cleaning and annual inspections will help ensure your roof is operating in good condition. If you do experience a hurricane or strong storm, we highly recommend scheduling a professional inspection. It’s here that we can get ahead of roof leaks and help you save money. We also encourage you to keep your gutters clean. Avoid buildup of leaves and debris on your roof and routinely ventilate your attic. If you need to schedule annual roofing maintenance, contact our team at Perimeter Roofing Florida!
Roofing Services Near Sarasota & Orlando FL
Perimeter Roofing Florida is proud to have two locations open: Sarasota and Orlando! When you need a roof replacement, repair, or maintenance, we’re here to help! With continued training and education, we’re dedicated to always improving our services. We’re passionate about providing affordable roofing solutions that give you a safe, dependable roof ready to brave the extreme weather conditions of Florida. Contact us today to schedule a free roofing inspection!